Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C.
High Point Plaza, 4415 West Harrison Street, Suite 213, Hillside, IL 60162
High Point Plaza, 4415 West Harrison Street, Suite 213
Hillside, IL 60162



Who Acts For You When You Cannot?

 Posted on January 05, 2017 in Estate Planning


If you had to be away at the time of an important transaction, or if you suddenly became incapacitated, who would act in your place? Fortunately, there is a legal document that lets you name someone to act for you in situations like these - the "power of attorney."

There are different kinds of powers of attorney. A standard power of attorney lets you appoint someone to handle financial affairs. You can grant power over all your property, or limit the authority to handling a certain task. A standard power of attorney ends when you die, become incapacitated, or on a set date.

A durable power of attorney is like a standard power of attorney, except it stays valid even if you become incapacitated. Durable powers of attorney are often used to help avoid guardianship proceedings - because someone has already been appointed to handle your affairs, a court won't have to.

A durable power of attorney for health care lets you authorize someone to make your medical decisions if you cannot.

Powers of attorney are valuable planning tools. Laws regarding them are complex, so you should seek legal help in making or changing one.

Share this post:
Illinois State Bar Association LAW QA Verified DuPage County Bar Association American Bar Association Alignable MH2018 AVVO Will County Bar Association bbb
Back to Top