Allocation of Parental Responsibilities (Child Custody)
Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C.
High Point Plaza, 4415 West Harrison Street, Suite 213, Hillside, IL 60162
High Point Plaza, 4415 West Harrison Street, Suite 213
Hillside, IL 60162



Child Custody Lawyer in Oak Park, IL

oak park child custody attorney

Attorney for the Allocation of Parental Responsibilities in Maywood, Elmhurst, DuPage County, and Across the Area

One of the most contentious issues divorcing spouses must deal with is how to raise the children. With emotions running high, it is often difficult to come up with a child custody arrangement that will satisfy both parents. To successfully navigate the allocation of parental responsibilities, it is important to have a skilled family law attorney in your corner advocating for your rights and the best interests of the child.

At the Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C., we have over 30 years of experience handling divorce and child custody issues in Cook County, DuPage County, and communities throughout the Chicagoland area. We know that each circumstance is different, and each divorcing couple has a unique set of family dynamics. We take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your case and the issues that are most important to you so that we can develop the most practical and effective resolution. We are responsive, detail-oriented, and we go above and beyond to ensure our clients receive the highly-personalized representation they deserve.

Allocation of Parental Responsibilities in Illinois

Recent changes to state law have resulted in a change in terminology from "child custody" to "allocation of parental responsibilities." Aside from a change in language, the law is also intended to encourage cooperation and discourage contentiousness when it comes to raising the children. Under the new law, courts can grant decision-making authority to one or both parents in the following areas:

  • Education
  • Health
  • Religion
  • Extracurricular Activities

If both parents agree on how to manage these four areas, they can enter into a written parenting agreement. If they do not, the court makes the decision based on the best interests of the child.

While the terms "custody," "custodial parent," and "non-custodial parent" no longer apply, there is still a primary residential parent who is mostly responsible for day-to-day parenting decisions, can receive child support, and whose school district may determine where the child is educated. The term "visitation" has also been replaced with "parenting time." The law provides that the parent who has not been granted primary responsibility over the child has the right to a reasonable parenting time schedule.

Contact a Hillside Child Custody Attorney

Allocation of parental responsibilities is a complex and emotional subject, and it can be difficult for parents to reach an amicable agreement on their own. At the Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C., we take the emotions out and focus on negotiating a favorable resolution that will be acceptable to both you and your spouse. For a free consultation with our experienced child custody attorney, contact our office today at 708-449-7404. We serve clients in Maywood, Forest Park, Melrose Park, Berkeley, Bellwood, Westchester, Broadview, La Grange, and Elmhurst, as well as DuPage County, Cook County, and throughout the metro Chicago area.

Illinois State Bar Association LAW QA Verified DuPage County Bar Association American Bar Association Alignable MH2018 AVVO Will County Bar Association bbb
Back to Top