Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C.
High Point Plaza, 4415 West Harrison Street, Suite 213, Hillside, IL 60162
High Point Plaza, 4415 West Harrison Street, Suite 213
Hillside, IL 60162



Post-Decree Issues that Can Arise in Illinois Divorce Cases

 Posted on January 09, 2024 in Post-Decree Matters

Blog ImageMany people believe that as soon as the divorce decree is issued, all issues relating to the divorce are over, never to be considered again. However, this is incorrect. Post-decree issues can and do occur, and when they do, careful navigation of such matters is important to ensure a fair resolution. If you have a post-decree problem you would like to address, it would be wise to contact an experienced family law lawyer in Illinois. Navigating these matters on your own is a recipe for disaster

Child Custody

One of the most prevalent issues involves seeking child custody modifications. As a child grows up, their needs and circumstances often change, requiring adjustments to the existing custody arrangement. If a parent wishes to modify a child custody determination, they must be able to demonstrate a substantial change in circumstances that affect the child’s well-being. You should discuss your wishes with an experienced custody attorney to build a compelling case as to why your child custody modification should be granted.

Child Support

The financial circumstances of the parents can change after a divorce, leading to the need for child support modifications. If a parent can demonstrate there has been a substantial change in income or resources by either parent, Illinois may allow modifications to take place. However, if you are the parent seeking a modification, be ready to provide evidence. Furthermore, your lawyer will ensure your modification request is worded correctly and presented to the court correctly, increasing the chances of a beneficial outcome for you

Relocation Modifications

In the years after a divorce, one or both parents may decide they wish to move, which can seriously complicate matters relating to custody and visitation. According to the laws in Illinois, the parent wishing to relocate must obtain court approval, unless the other parent agrees with the planned relocation. In parental relocation matters, the court’s primary concern is ensuring that the relocation would continue to support the child’s interests, and not solely those of the parent they are moving with.

Court Order Enforcement 

Finally, it is not entirely unusual for one party to not comply with court orders, such as not paying their child support obligation, or violating their visitation schedules. In such cases, the party seeking enforcement can pursue enforcement through the court system. A knowledgeable family law lawyer can help you significantly through this process.

Contact Our Oak Park, IL Post-Decree Modification and Enforcement Attorney Today

Requests for post-decree modifications and enforcement are quite common, and as a result, our Hillside, IL post-decree modification and enforcement lawyer with Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C. is ready to help you pursue and achieve your legal goals. Contact us at 708-449-7404 for a free consultation.

Share this post:
Illinois State Bar Association LAW QA Verified DuPage County Bar Association American Bar Association Alignable MH2018 AVVO Will County Bar Association bbb
Back to Top