Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C.
High Point Plaza, 4415 West Harrison Street, Suite 213, Hillside, IL 60162
High Point Plaza, 4415 West Harrison Street, Suite 213
Hillside, IL 60162



How Do I Know if I Will Have to Pay Child Support After My Illinois Divorce? 

 Posted on August 29, 2022 in Family Law

Oak Park Family Law AttorneyIf you are getting divorced in Illinois, and have a child under the age of 18 (and in some cases, even a child older than 18), you may be wondering whether you will need to pay child support. When you have your child’s best interests at heart, it is important to know what to expect as you prepare yourself emotionally and financially for life after a divorce. To learn more about how child support works in Illinois, read on, and then contact a highly-skilled divorce attorney for advice. 

Who Pays Child Support? 

Child support payments in Illinois are calculated using the “income shares” model. This model uses both parents’ net incomes, and, along with the amount of time each child spends with each parent, determines whether one parent needs to pay child support. Child support payments are meant to cover a child’s everyday expenses like clothing, food and housing, as well as the costs of education, healthcare and other wellness needs. While the parent with the majority of parenting time is usually the parent to receive child support payments, this is not always the case. 

How Long Do Child Support Payments Last? 

Child support typically ends once a child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever comes later. If you have more than one child, you can have your child support payments modified as each successive child turns 18. 

When Do Parents Need to Pay Child Support for an Adult Child? 

When a child has a disability that was known before turning 18, and the disability prevents the child from becoming self-sufficient, parents can be required to pay adult child support. Once the child turns 18, separate proceedings will be required to determine the appropriate amount of support for each parent to pay. Payments can depend on whether the child lives with one parent or in an assisted living center, what kind of state and federal resources are available to the child, and the parents’ own available resources. 

In Illinois, parents can also be required to help their adult child pay for the cost of college or vocational training. Each case is unique, so be sure to speak with an attorney who can help you understand your obligations under Illinois law. 

Call an Oak Park, IL Divorce Attorney for Help

It can be difficult to know what to anticipate during and after your divorce. To learn more about the divorce process, work with the highly-experienced Hillside divorce attorney at Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C..  Vincent Machroli has over  34 years of experience representing clients, and offers free consultations so you can get an idea of how he would handle your case. Call our offices today at 708-449-7404 to schedule yours. 



Share this post:
Illinois State Bar Association LAW QA Verified DuPage County Bar Association American Bar Association Alignable MH2018 AVVO Will County Bar Association bbb
Back to Top